Supposedly journeyman Matt Palmer is under consideration for the nod next time the Mariners need a 5th starter. Taijuan Walker presumably has been judged not ready, and Brandon Maurer and Erasmo Ramirez have both been given numerous uncapitalized-upon opportunities.
Palmer started and pitched 3.0 IP for Tacoma Thursday (48 pitches) and gave up 1 ER with 3 K. Palmer has 20 MLB starts over parts of five seasons, mostly with the Angels.
His MLB results are slightly better as a reliever, although not particularly impressive either way (4.6 BB/9, 4.8 K/9).
He’s been pretty decent at Tacoma this year so far, with a 2.14 ERA in six starts.
Could he hold down the fort for a game or two? Probably. Would they have to make a 40-man roster move? Yes.
Wild Card Standings:
Read ’em and Weep.
Yes, I know what your inner long-term-Mariner-fan is saying to you.
But peek at that run-differential column. It’s OK. Yes, there are only two wild-card-contending teams with positive run differential.
|LA Angels||31||28||.525||–||15-13||16-15||278||252||+26||Lost 1||3-7|
|NY Yankees||30||29||.508||1||13-16||17-13||240||268||-28||Won 1||4-6|
|Chicago Sox||31||30||.508||1||17-14||14-16||273||284||-11||Won 2||6-4|
|Kansas City||29||31||.483||2.5||14-15||15-16||232||250||-18||Won 1||5-5|
But now some pessimism, lest you think we’re too soft to be a Mariner blog. Oh, I know we are, but so what.
Jack Zduriencik mentioned that Thursday’s draft haul reminded him of earlier drafts when he picked Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun.
So check out the 2005 draft, if you dare.
|1||Diamondbacks||Justin Upton (minors)||SS||18.3||935||.835|
|2||Royals||Alex Gordon (minors)||3B||25.1||936||.782|
|3||Mariners||Jeff Clement (minors)||C||-1.2||152||.648|
|4||Nationals||Ryan Zimmerman (minors)||3B||34.2||1150||.831|
|5||Brewers||Ryan Braun (minors)||3B||36.6||987||.937|
|6||Blue Jays||Ricky Romero (minors)||LHP||9.7||129||.190||4.16|
|7||Rockies||Troy Tulowitzki (minors)||SS||37.0||927||.892|
|8||Devil Rays||Wade Townsend (minors)||RHP|
|9||Mets||Mike Pelfrey (minors)||RHP||4.6||187||.263||4.56|
|10||Tigers||Cameron Maybin (minors)||OF||8.9||497||.686|
|11||Pirates||Andrew McCutchen (minors)||OF||29.2||792||.871|
|12||Reds||Jay Bruce (minors)||OF||14.6||870||.804|
How many MVPs passed over to pick Jeff Clement? I guess only two, since Tulo hasn’t won one — yet. Maybe 2014. And Zimmerman might have a shot someday, too.
- As noted, Palmer started for Tacoma and was decent. But he got no support. Only two hits, both singles.
- But it was a good night for their former teammates now playing for Albuquerque: Alex Liddi (3-for-5,HR) and Trayvon Robinson (2-for-4, double). No hits for Carlos Triunfel, though.
- Mayckol Guaipe is having a plateau-leap season: 1.87 ERA, 1.9 BB/9, 8.3 K/9. He got the save for Jackson despite allowing an inherited runner to score. Tyler Olson was having a great start — 1 ER allowed — until the 9th when he was charged with two more, but he’s been plateau-leaping as well.
- High Desert was in San Jose, where there’s not as much scoring, but D.J. Peterson did get his 12th homer. And Dylan Unsworth, who’s been struggling mightily at home, had a good but losing start on the road: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 8 K.
- Clinton’s Jack Reinheimer had a double, a walk and his org-leading 21st steal in a losing effort.