== Florida Spring Break no fun for M’s so far ==
We all knew that Roenis Elias wouldn’t keep doing it forever.
Yes, he has fun, deceptive lefty stuff, sometimes comes in sidearm against LH hitters, and he’s “effectively” wild.
But the .222 BABIP and the .108 ISO-against in his first three starts weren’t really adding up.
As a guy who tends to put a lot of balls up in the zone without pinpoint command, he was due for the proverbial reversion to the mean.
Well, the mean reverted right into the Mariners’ face on Saturday night.
- Hyper-detailed baseball-reference.com boxscore here.
Elias gave up six runs, four of them earned, in 5.2 IP. He yielded eight hits, including two doubles and a homer, and five walks.
His BABIP for the game was .411, which sent his overall average up by 52 points to .274. MLB average is .296.
His ISO-against for the game was .217, which sent his overall ISO-against up to .139. MLB average is .141.
The mean was mean, but it was comin’ sometime. ‘Cuz that’s what the mean does.
It seems that these are not advantageous matchups for the Mariners, although they did scratch out three runs (only one earned) against Eovaldi.
Alvarez went the distance and gave up only a single and a double (to Mike Zunino).
.Let’s move on the minors, shall we? Tacoma was rained out for about the 10th time this year, so at least no bad news from there.
- Jackson didn’t get much going in a 3-2 loss, but Jabari Blash had two hits and a stolen base.
- David Colvin struck out five in 2.2 IP of relief.
- High Desert was shut down in Lancaster — yes, even red-hot Patrick Kivlehan (though he had a double).
- That left Clinton to provide some offense, which it did — but it took awhile. The LumberKings entered the 10th inning in a 1-1 tie with Bowling Green. Then commenced an adventurous frame in which the Hot Rods apparently had their throwing arms disconnected from their brains. Three wild pitches, one hit batsman and one throwing error. Toss in a couple of singles, and next thing anyone knew it was 9-1 Clinton. And that’s how it ended.